Monday 22 July 2013

the who odds and sods

I haven't been able to listen to any music on my way to and from work for the last couple of weeks thanks to an ear problem. All better now,so last night I let my trusty shuffle setting  decide what album I should listen to.
This is what it gave me:
 
Not a choice I was going to argue with-this is a great album.A stop-gap collection of outtakes and rarities put together by John Entwistle it may be , but it also provided the original home for some fantastic Who songs,from the tongue-in-cheek  humour of Postcard,with its reference to The Who's ill-fated tour of Australia/New Zeland with the Small Faces,to the majestic and beautiful Pure and Easy, via the very first single I'm The Face and an anti-smoking song! I loved the artwork as well-the cut-out sleeve,the Braille, the insert with typical Pete Townshend track by track notes-the whole thing was a great artifact before you even got to the music!
 
At the time of its release, The Who and Ken Russell were filming Tommy in and around Portsmouth.One location was the Wesley Central Hall in Fratton (the rally where Sally Simpson gets kicked in the head).
 Did I think of bunking off school and getting in to watch The Who? Too fucking right!!  Well the bunking off bit went ok,but getting to watch was a bit harder-finally manged it in time for the last couple of mins filming after being there all day.
I hung around after most people had left,and saw the Almighty Keith Moon getting into the Rolls Royce parked outside.The car only then went and got stuck at the traffic lights outside the Co-op (now The Bridge Centre),so  I was able to get his autograph.
Worth the detention for bunking off I think!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment