Thursday 28 March 2013

Hey You,Get Off Of My Land

So....the Greatest Corporate Rock n Roll band in the World are playing the Greatest Corporate Festival in the World.
 Nope can't keep this up.
 The Stones are playing Glastonbury and while the world media meltdown over this announcement builds momentum I find my self not really caring. Strange,because I grew up listening to my sisters Rolling Stones records,and I bought my own in the 70's,and ocassionaly the 80's and 90's,(usally at Nikki Suddens' insistence) and they are one of the last of the great bands that I haven't seen live.

.But I'm not going to Glastonbury,same as I didn't go to see them at the 02, and do you know what? I'm not really that bothered.Lets be honest,the only difference between the Rolling Stones on tour,and the Sound of The Sixties tours that play the theatres across the land is the sheer scale and ticket prices of the Stones' set-up.. They are all trading off their Glory Days,whether its Satisfaction or Glad All Over at the end of the day its all the same.Same as when I saw the Velvet Underground in 1993,or The Who in 2002.The thing is though...I enjoyed seeing both those bands ,and hearing them play those wonderful songs in the flesh,but,and let's be honest here, they were both past their prime and playing the "hits".

When I started this post I wanted to write a stinging criticism of the fact that this bunch of old guys were STLL trading on their rock n roll outlaw status,albeit they are all entitled to bus passes,and because I am listening to Nick Grimshaw on Radio 1 going on about what great news it is,and how he can't wait...blah..blah..blah.He really is a dick.

But do you know what? I have discovered that I really don't care .t last the Rolling Stones are playing Glastonbury. Now at least we won't have to put up with constant speculation every year about when they are going to appear there.If you have a ticket then I hope you enjoy yourself,whoever you are going there for.Me I'll watch the Stones on the tele from the comfort of my sofa-seems kinda appropriate really.....

Don't suppose there is a chance that some New Youth Movement will storm the site,hang  Mick from the top of the Pyramid Stage and rip it up and start again?  No? Thought not.

1 comment:

  1. Martin Stephenson & The Daintees in the acoustic tent is where it's at!
    http://daintees.bandcamp.com/

    ReplyDelete